Thursday, March 31, 2011

Much More Group Presentation Apr 5, 2011


Do You Need to Confess Your Sins to Be Forgiven?

I am concerned particularly about God’s forgiveness, not men’s. And I am talking to those who confess Christ as Lord.

We have spent a few weeks on the subject of righteousness now so I am sure you are in a good position to ponder the above question with me. Now you know that you are righteous, and that not of your own doing, it’s all because of Jesus’ work. Ask yourself this question first: am I still righteous when I sin?

If your answer were yes (Congratulation! You got the right answer!), that would mean you think that you are forgiven of your sin even without your asking God for forgiveness. Else it would have to mean that you think you are not forgiven without asking God but at the same time you are still righteous – you are not forgiven but you are righteous. I think the latter is a very laughable proposition.

“Hey Joshua, it’s all very easy to say, how about scripture like 1 John1: 9? Aren’t we supposed to keep short account with God? And didn’t Jesus plainly tell us to ask God to forgive us our trespasses in His model prayer? Our pastor always asks us to examine ourselves and confess our sins before partaking the Lord’s Supper, is he wrong?”

I am well aware of your doubts; they are legitimate, or at least they seem to be.  Actually, I have lived  under that kind of understanding for much of the twenty years of my Christian life. I will give you a convincing answer in the presentation (next Tuesday Apr 5, 2011, 8pm at my house).  You are welcome to join us.

Scripture Link: BibleGateway.com


No comments:

Post a Comment